|Gilead Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church||
Gilead Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church
How blessed are we that God has granted Gilead Church a long life of service in His Name A “lampstand” for almost 230 years, Gilead has never been a mega-church, nor likely will she be one but her influence has reached far and wide.
The first church building was built of logs which stood directly off of Beatties Ford Road. John Boyse, born in Ireland, came to America to Abbeville, South Carolina. Graduating from Dickinson College in Pennsylvania, he came to Gilead and was ordained as the first pastor on July 1, 1789, preaching also at Coddle Creek, Prosperity and Hopewell, South Carolina. It was during the pastorate of Reverend D. G. Caldwell that the existing sanctuary building was erected at a cost of $2,000. The bricks were made by hand in McDowell Creek and members of the congregation built the building in two years’ time, stopping only to put in and harvest crops. The first service was held on March 12, 1882. In their book of memoirs, the women of the church have the back cover and a member’s Bible that is inscribed--”the first sermon was preached at Gilead on the 12th day of March, 1882 from Philippians 3rd chapter and 9th verse by D. G. Caldwell.”
An organized Women’s Missionary Society began in 1884. Most active indeed, the women of Gilead church took a strong role in the support of missionaries and the service and furtherance of God’s earthly Kingdom. As a result of collecting membership dues in the early l920s (which amounted to $15.00), the pulpit furniture that is still in use was purchased by them. They picked cotton, sold eggs, made quilts to begin the first building hind that helped in the erection of the present Sabbath school building.